Thursday, July 8, 2010

Procrastination Proclamation

I'm starting to think that, instead of telling people we got engaged, we should say we got hectic. I feel like I haven't caught my breath in the past two weeks — of course that's due at least as much to work and school as it is wedding planning, but go with it.

Being something of a procrastinator myself, I wouldn't normally be sweating an April event while it's barely July. The problem is, all my bridal magazines (you heard me right — I'm reading bridal magazines like it's my job) inform me I should have firmed up a guest list, set a date, appointed the wedding party, and sent out save-the-dates, oh, months ago.

Months ago!

My fiancé, a man whose sense of urgency (or lack thereof) earned him the family nickname of "a son and doddler both," is slightly less alarmed by this information.

Still, with my prodding, he's been a huge help in getting some of the first to-do's tackled. For instance, we've managed to draft a guest list and keep it hovering artfully around, we hope, 100 guests. (This, you'll agree, is a superhuman feat, both of us being the youngest of six kids and members of rather enormous families.) We've also picked colors, set our sights on a few possible venues, and tentatively chosen a Saturday in April.

The groom, obediently perusing a wedding mag.

Oh, and we're doing a lot of whispering, sighing blissfully, and looking deeply into each other's eyes. That counts as wedding planning, right?

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm sure you have also been looking stuff up online, but here are some sites that have helped me out a lot:
    http://100layercake.com/blog/
    http://stylemepretty.com/
    http://bridetide.blogspot.com/2009/03/top-100-wedding-blogs-and-twitters-to.html
    http://www.getmarried.com/

    And I was hesitant to look on her site, but Martha Stewart really does have some good advice and ideas.
    The main point is to make it about you and your future hubby. It's hard when you have such a large family because you want to make sure everyone is happy, but it should be more about the happily ever after then the ceremony/reception.
    Good luck and let me know if you need any advice!! P.S. Casablanca makes GORGEOUS and very inexpensive gowns. They are more vintage and have the hand sown lace and beading. Look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To add to this: 2000dollarwedding.com was a mighty resource for us, if only to remind me that it didn't really matter what color the napkins were or how much my dress cost. What mattered was us-- standing in a room full of people we love and making a very serious promise. And dancing. The dancing mattered too, but you can dance anywhere.

    ReplyDelete