Friday, August 13, 2010

A Midsummer Decorating Dream; part one

Hello, wedding fans, and welcome to a two-part series on my new favorite theme: decorating!

I hope you all enjoyed my guest writer last week, and I'm sorry I haven't written since then. (Remember all that complaining I was doing a while back about how being engaged = being ridiculously busy? Yeah. That hasn't changed.) But I finally have some time now to sit down at the table, mug of green tea steeping, pup asleep at my feet, and dream with you about all things decorated.

The fiancé and I went by both of our venues this morning: the reception venue because he had to meet a business associate there (I tagged along to eye the surroundings and daydream about decorating some more) and then the ceremony venue to sign the contract!

As far as the decor...I have a lot of vague ideas and no definite plans. I also have champagne taste and a beer budget. But never fear, dear readers! Check out some of our schemes:

Fabric!

Nate actually came up with this one. Our reception venue has a decidedly industrial feel (which I actually think makes for cool juxtaposition with the pretty, soft wedding stuff), so the groom suggested getting long sheets of satin (or something far, far cheaper) in our colors to hang in ceiling-to-floor glory. It will be a great way to cushion the space and set our theme, and also create a sense of luxury with a teeny price tag.

Twinkly Lights!

Is anything more charming than the soft light of white twinkly lights? (Is that even what adults call them?) Since the reception will be at night, we're planning on putting these suckers all over the outside of the building, and probably along the ceiling inside, too. (What was that I just heard? The sounds of myriad friends volunteering?) The best part about this plan is that Christmas will come sooner than our wedding day, and you know what that means: after Christmas sales! I know I've seen boxes of twinkly lights for 99 cents at Target that week, and I plan to wipe out their stock.

Words!

Some of you might know that our dog got into the decidedly unfortunate habit of eating books, recently.

Bad girl!

But as I sunk to my knees one night, surrounded by the carcasses of such beloved works as The Little Prince, The Yearling, and Atlas Shrugged, a little voice in the back of my head whispered: Wedding decorations! I was pretty sure that little voice was crazy, but I saved all the salvageable pages anyway. I finally concluded that I could use them to make some sort of heart cut-out garlandy thing. After all, I am something of a word lover, and I’d love it if the wedding could emerge with a theme of words AND moving pictures (more on that in part two!). As soon as I came to the garland conclusion, I began to see them everywhere! For instance, the adorable picture above, or this one from Wedding magazine:

Sorry for the poor quality!

Stay tuned this weekend for more decorating fun, and please share any ideas you have for us below!

No comments:

Post a Comment