Sunday, August 1, 2010

The train before the dress

Apparently, whining about your lack of venue is a pretty good way to find one.

Another good way, it turns out, and I hate to admit, is listening to your fiancé.

Nate's very first suggestion for our ceremony venue was one I instantly shot down. The Roundhouse Railroad Museum is a little industrial corner of Savannah dotted with hulking train cars, gravel paths, and steel structures.

"What about that place?" he suggested one day in June as we drove past. I glanced over as a train full of tourists puffed into the station.

The view from the road.

"Uh-uh," was my firm reply.

But as venue after venue fell through, I found myself admitting hesitantly — "Maybe that train place wouldn't be so bad, after all."

Sure enough, it's perfect. The price is right and all-inclusive; the location is handy to our reception venue; the space is sprawling, private, and surprisingly verdant; and our date was open. Eureeka!

The garden where we'll say we do.

Granted, it comes after a somewhat precarious walk through a train-yard (we'll offer a pleasant golf cart ride for our older relatives), but there's a perfect garden in the back of the museum. By spring, I know it will be blooming like crazy, and, look, the aisle is built in! For an extra fee that I doubt we'll be paying, I could even have a private train car for a bride's room. So cool.

I'm sure you're as relieved as I am to know this means I can stop kvetching about location and move on to the real fun stuff: decorations, dresses, food and drink and everything else!

Oh, and, because he's making me say so: Nate was right, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment